Economic Studies - New New Normal
Nonprofits are an integral part of our state's economy. Utah has approximately 5,500 registered public charities. In 2008 alone, these charities accounted for $5.3 billion in revenues and $7.8 billion in assets. We are partnering with the Wells Fargo Foundation to measure the impact of the economic downturn on Utah's nonprofits.
- The final Economic Dashboard finds that 38% of Utah nonprofits closed during the recession. (September 2012)Wells Fargo Nonprofit Dashboard September 2012
- Giving was flat or down again in 2011. Wells Fargo Nonprofit Dashboard January 2012 pdf.pdf
- Utah's Nonprofit sector simply cannot replace the role of state government. they need more favorable tax policies and fear the further reduction in state support for needed social services and education. Report to the Utah State Legislature February 2011
- As the recession wears on, the reality for many Utah nonprofits is bleak. Reserve funds are gone. Staff risk burn out as people continue to need more help, and it must be delivered with ever shrinking budgets and fewer hands. Signs of recovery are faint, if visible at all. And the people of Utah continue to suffer the effects of economic forces far removed from their neighborhoods. (September, 2010) Wells Fargo Nonprofit Dashboard September 2010.pdf
- Utah nonprofits have a significant interest in combining efforts with other nonprofits in staff training, in-house technology support, marketing, graphic design, public relations, printing, grant writing, and evaluation (July, 2010). Wells Fargo Nonprofit Dashboard July 2010
- A quarter of Utah's nonprofits saw deep declines in year end giving in 2009. Most, however, think they have made it through the worst of the recession. (January, 2010) Wells Fargo Nonprofit Dashboard January 2010.pdf
- Few Utah nonprofits have reserves or endowments, collaborations and mergers are increasing, and nonprofits leaders remain pessimistic about the future. (November 2009) Wells Fargo Nonprofit Dashboard November 2009.pdf
- Utah's nonprofits struggle as donations are down and demand is up. Lay offs have an especially deep impact on arts organizations and rural nonprofits are hardest hit. (July 2009) Wells Fargo Nonprofit Dashboard July 2009.pdf
- The results of our first Utah Nonprofit Economic Dashboard measuring how the economy is impacting Utah charities.(April, 2009) Wells Fargo Nonprofit Dashboard April 2009.pdf
The economic crisis requires a re-engineering of the way we approach funding and solving long standing social issues. We began by asking: What if we could engage Utah's entrepreneurs to address Utah's complex problems? How can we provide nonprofit organizations the strategic resources they need to create sustainable positive change?
Our work seeks to connect these important sectors: entrepreneurs who know little about the role of the nonprofit sector, and nonprofit leaders who yearn for a way to effectively tap their resources. Each do, and will, rely on each other. A growing economy needs a healthy community, and the organizations that support the public good need the intellectual and financial capital of entrepreneurs. We believe, and our research confirms, that Utah needs a catalyst so that nonprofits and entrepreneurs benefit from each other's expertise.
- Results of the Speed Mentorign Event of June 2011 2011 Speed Mentoring Report
- Results of the Social Innovation Challenge, December 2010 Social Innovation Challenge Report
- Results of our Speed Mentoring Event December, 2009. Enlightened_Entrepreneurs_2010.pdf
- These two reports share insights into the relationship between entrepreneurs and nonprofits. \ Nonprofit FocusGroup.pdf Entrepreneur_Focus_Group_June_2009.pdf and
The Natural Heritage Field of Interest Fund
A report from the first meeting of the Environmental Stewardship Field of Interest Fund began a dialog about the environmental issues facing the state among groups representing different priorities and focuses. This meeting assisted the foundation’s in cataloging environmental issues facing the state and enhancing our understanding of efforts underway to address these issues. Download the report.
You can read the report of our 2010 Chautauqua "Utah Natural Heritage" is available here:
- Utah's nonprofit leaders share their thoughts about the creation of a community foundation in Utah and their perceptions about the strengths and weakness of our current philanthropic landscape. (January 2009) Nonprofit Opinion about a Community Foundation for Utah