This past Monday, Ashoka U, announced the designation of BYU as one of its newest “Changemaker Campuses” joining a consortium of 15 other universities (here’s a blog post by Ashoka U as well). By 2015, Ashoka U is planning on selecting the top 30 university programs in social innovation and social entrepreneurship around the world. Here’s a nice news piece by the Deseret News about our selection.
What to celebrate with us? Come join us on Wednesday, 17 October for our annual Peery Film Premier and Changemaker Fair at 7p in the Tanner Building. Can’t make that? Join us for TEDxBYU and our S+Lab next 28 and 29 March 2013 (we’ll also be celebrating our 10th Anniversary).
As the Ashoka U team went through its selection process, interviews, and on-site selection with us, they became increasingly excited about the broad set of classes and experiential opportunities that we have for BYU students of all disciplines across campus. We are one of the few universities who provide the breadth of programs we do. Largest criticism? Branding—we don’t tell our story well on our website or via social media outlets. So, we’re working on that.
What do we do? The Ballard Center exists to help BYU students understand how to integrate social innovation into their lifetime of philanthropy and service so that they can have a greater impact in their own community and throughout the world—they want to have an impact like you do. This directly matches the aims of a BYU education to be Spiritually Strengthening, Intellectually Enlarging, Character Building, and Leading to Lifelong Learning and Service.
The numbers for 2012-2013? Over 2000 Ballard Experiences
- 350 Students in one of our Social Innovation classes
- 120 Students having an award winning On-Campus Internship
- 75+ Students involved in Off-Campus Internships
- 150+ Students working on new Social Ventures at our Social Venture Academy
- 28 Students from 6 MBA schools solving a Social Innovator partner’s problem in our Case Competition
- 50 Students in Clubs
- 1,200 Students and community attending the Hunger Banquet (co-produced)
- 13 Faculty Research Fellows
- 3 Practitioner Initiative Partners
- 1 Practitioner Social Innovator of the Year
- 800 Everyone at TEDxBYU
- 250 Everyone at our S+Lab Conference
Thank you again for supporting the Ballard Center, our students, and our faculty! GO COUGS!