These awards are made to further the education or training of students whose parents or guardians have been or are incarcerated. The Fund was established by Karl Winsness, who spent years in prison and knows the impact that can have on young people and their dreams.
Application Available Online: February 16, 2017
Application Deadline: April 7, 2017 at 5:00pm
Award Amount: $500-$1000
To qualify for this award you must:
- must be able to prove parent/guardian incarceration
- be a resident of the State of Utah (or have lived in Utah for at least 5 years of your life)
- be graduating from or have graduated from high school with a GPA of 2.0 or above (though preference is given to students with a 3.0 or above)
- have applied to, be admitted or will be attending a two or four-year accredited college, university or vocational/technical school in Utah and
- demonstrate financial need.
Be prepared to submit the following documents:
- 2 letters of recommendation
- financial aid documents
- proof of parent incarceration
- acceptance letter from eligible college/university or proof of application
- current transcript with GPA